Tuesday, August 08, 2006

The one year check-up

We went to visit the pediatrician today for Maddie's one year check-up. She weighed in at 18 pounds and 9 ounces, which is about a pound more than her last visit. She is in the 10th-25th percentile. Her length is 30.5 inches which is in the 90th percentile. She is one long sweet pea. And her head is 47.25 cm which is in the 95th percentile. How could we expect a small headed child for two people with freakishly big heads? :o)

Anyway, the doctor said that she looked great. Unfortunately, she had 3 shots today and she also got pricked in the finger to check her iron count. Poor munchkin. :o( She was crying up a storm. Thankfully, she calmed down a bit once I held her.

My dilemma now is feeding her. Everything I read talks about how she should eat 4-5 servings of fruits/vegetables and something like 5-6 servings of breads/cereals. That sounds insane! How can one baby eat so much! She used to eat one yogurt and some cereal for breakfast, a jar of veggies/fruit and some cereal for lunch, and a jar of veggies/fruit with some cereal for dinner. She is not a big bread fan. Now she still eats the yogurt and cereal for breakfast but I am trying to stop the jarred baby food stuff and have her eat more table foods. She eats cheese pretty well. She eats steamed carrots some but she doesn't seem to be absorbing them because I find them in her poop. So I am trying to make my own baby food with a food processor and she doesn't seem to like it. I must confess that I have NO IDEA what I am doing. The pediatrician did remind me that it takes up to 10 times for a baby to like something... that helped some.

Then there's the whole milk issue. She used to drink about 32 ounces of formula a day. I am trying to wean her off the bottle and that has been a nightmare! I tried doing it cold turkey but that didn't seem to be working. I decided to give her a sippy cup for the lunch and dinner meals for a couple of weeks and then try with the morning and night bottles.

If any of you have any advice on this issue, please send me an email or post a comment! Your help would be greatly appreciated!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hey, susie--

i used to freak out that cadence wasn't getting enough to eat (i still do from time to time). i have heard that with toddlers, you shouldn't just track what they eat in a day, but more like over the course of a week. right now, maddie's busy exploring and trying out her walking legs, so she may not be too interested in food. i think as long as she's not crying from hunger and her diapers are normal and she's looking happy and plays well, you don't need to worry.

here are some resources that may be helpful:
is your child getting enough to eat?
feeding the picky toddler
making your own baby food
wholesome toddler food