Anyone who knows me knows that I cannot stand the sight, sound, or smell of vomit. Who does, right? I remember a time when I was teaching second grade and one of my students said that he thought he was going to throw up. My biggest fear as a teacher, other than catching lice, was one of my students throwing up in my classroom. I always thought that if it happened, that I would throw up myself from the sheer grossness of it. I remember telling him to hurry up and run to the bathroom. My classroom was just a few steps from the stairs that led to the second floor, which was where the student bathrooms were. He threw up as soon as he got to the steps. And I remember THANKING God that it didn't happen in my room. :o)
One concern I had as a pregnant mom-to-be was how I was going to deal with my child throwing up. I just couldn't imagine having to clean it up or smell it without getting sick myself. All of my friends that were already parents said that it wasn't so gross when it was their child that was sick. I couldn't understand that... until now.
Maddie and I drove down to visit a friend in Naperville today. For those of you who don't know, Naperville is about 1 hour and 15 minutes away without traffic. We came home during rush hour so it took a bit longer. Anyway, she had been restless and crying fairly hard the last 10 minutes home. I pulled into the garage and went to take her out when she vomited all over her new winter coat and car seat. WHAT A MESS! And to my surprise... I didn't get sick or even grossed out. I never thought that would happen. I mean, I knew she would get sick but I never thought that I wouldn't be grossed out by it. I just felt so bad for Maddie and was concerned that she wasn't feeling well. I guess that's a form of unconditional love, huh? :o)
Thankfully, she was fine. We went in the house and I changed her clothes. I tried to hold and comfort her but she just wanted down so she could play. And if you knew Maddie, that meant that she was just fine. :o) Tim gave her a bath later on and I washed her clothes, jacket, car seat cover, car seat, and my own jacket that got dirty while carrying her. We almost had another disaster! My cell phone was in my jacket pocket! I went to pull the clothes and etc. out of the washer to put them into the dryer when I saw my phone at the bottom! I can't live without my phone! To my amazement, the phone still works! THANK GOD! Anyway, going back to the car seat, why do they make them so hard to clean? I know that Britax is a super safe seat but man is it hard to clean. I had to drag the whole thing up into our bathtub to scrub the straps and seat. And while we are on the topic of things being hard to clean, our Peg Perego Prima Pappa high chair is hard to clean too. Don't these manufacturers know that kids can spill or throw up in these things?
Anyway, I just wanted to share what this chaotic evening was like. :o)
No comments:
Post a Comment